Energy bites are a great snack to have on hand. You can use them in the morning to fuel your workout or use them in the afternoon for a mid-day snack. They pair nicely with a piece of fruit. These bites are packed full of healthy ingredients to give you a balanced snack. I change the ingredients that I use in these bites all the time, depending on what I have on hand. I just make sure to include a complex carb, a protein and a healthy fat. I listed one of my variations in the recipe, which is using a ripe banana instead of dates. You can also substitute the almond butter for peanut butter or coconut oil. You can add dried fruit, nuts, coconut flakes…the list goes on and on. Have fun with these bites and let me know what combination you come up with that you like best!
Make sure to store your bites in the refrigerator or freezer to keep them fresh.
- 12 dates (if you don't want to use dates, instead you can use one ripe banana, use 1 cup oatmeal instead of ½ cup and increase almond butter to ¼ cup instead of 1 Tbsp.)
- ½ cup gluten free oatmeal
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 scoop protein poweder (I use Sun Warrior Raw Vanilla Protein)
- Soak dates in warm water for approx. 10 minutes.
- Remove dates from water and discard water.
- Place everything in food processor, scraping sides as needed, and blend until mixture comes together like a dough.
- Roll into 1 inch ballls and place in freezer to set for approx. 30 minutes.
- Store in ziploc bag in freezer until needed. Makes 12 bites, serving size is 2-3 pieces.